Saturday, July 12, 2008

Happy Birthday, Kim!

Recipe
Lemon Buttermilk Pudding Cake with Fresh Berries

I had a birthday dinner for my good friend Kim a few weeks ago, and when I asked her what she wanted for dessert, her response was, "I've been thinking of something like cake with creamy lemon inside." After sifting through a few lemon curd-filled cake recipes, we settled on this gorgeous pudding cake with fresh berries. Pudding cakes are a unique dessert, and quite easy to make. Even though you mix all the ingredients together in one bowl, the laws of baking science mean that it comes out of the oven with two distinct layers: a delicate cake on the top, and a creamy pudding on the bottom...it's a pretty neat trick for minimal effort. This particular pudding cake is infused with lemon in both the cake and the pudding - it's one of the most lemony desserts I've ever had, so it's the perfect thing for citrus-lovers. Topped with a few fresh berries and whipped cream, there's just enough sweetness to balance the tangy citrus flavors, and it looks beautiful on a plate.

Kim has been one of my best friends since I was 5 years old (really!), and I feel so fortunate to have her in my life...she's like family to me. We've shared almost our whole lives together: from Barbies and dress-up to break-ups and new jobs, new houses, and ever-changing lives - no matter what life throws at us, our friendship has only grown stronger. Kim has been in Peru the last couple weeks, hiking Machu Picchu, but I hope she stops by and reads this when she gets back (especially because she's been asking me for the cake recipe - sorry it took so long!) so she knows just how important she is to me. Happy birthday, Kim - here's to a year of new milestones...it's been an amazing journey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I was getting ready to go to the grocery store after seeing my very empty fridge and decided to visit Cooking in Cathedral Hill first. Now I can pick up the ingredients to make the cake! Perfect timing, Liz! I love you - Kim

Elisabeth said...

That is perfect timing! Let me know if you get a chance to make it this week or if you need any help...the roasting pan and water can be a little fussy. Can't wait to hear about your trip!