Monday, November 10, 2008

Macaroni and Cheese with a Kick

Recipe
Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese

I never tire of trying out new macaroni and cheese recipes - although I do think I've narrowed the field of traditional versions to a few favorites: this one, that one, my mom's, my Aunt Laurie's, and the stuff from the deli counter at Whole Foods (that's not too many favorites, right?!). As far as non-traditional macaroni and cheese recipes go, this chipotle version is far and away the best I've had. It's creamy and comforting, just like proper macaroni and cheese should be...but it also has a substantial kick to keep it interesting. Where does this kick come from, you ask? Well, let me tell you: it comes from a tablespoon of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce and a can of diced tomatoes with green chili peppers. Ingenious, I think - and I've yet to make it for anyone who hasn't absolutely loved it. My mom loved it so much that she's been asking me for the recipe for weeks - here you go, Mom! Sorry it took so long.

On another note, happy birthday to me! It was my birthday last Friday, and I've had a wonderful weekend celebrating. Thank you, thank you to all my co-workers, friends, and family for making this a great start to my 28th year. I am so lucky to have such fabulous people in my life!

Last year at this time...Maple Snickerdoodles and Classic Corn Chowder


3 comments:

LeLe said...

This mac and cheese recipe is fabulous! I would especially suggest it to those who are not normally mac and cheese fans for it has a lot of flavor and a bit of a kick. Thanks Lis! (and thank you for making it for us!)

Unknown said...

This looks so good...I think I am going to try to make it this weekend!
Your birthday celebration was fun, I'm glad I was there with you!

Elisabeth said...

You're welcome Mom!

Nicol, I'm glad you were there, too!