Friday, November 21, 2008

Making Plans for Leftovers...

Recipe
Dariush and I have hosted a Thanksgiving celebration for the last three years, and every year he's been in charge of the turkey while I do the side dishes (with some help from our families). Dariush makes, hands-down, the best turkey I've ever had: he uses Alton Brown's recipe for Honey-Brined Turkey, builds a smoke bomb with hickory chips, and cooks it on the grill all day. If you haven't tried this popular method of cooking a turkey, I highly recommend it. It's great for two reasons: first, because it's cooked on the grill, it frees up oven space (and who doesn't want more oven space on Thanksgiving?), and second, because the end result is a moist, smoky turkey that's much more flavorful than the typical oven-baked bird. I'll make sure to get a good photo of it this year and post it after Thanksgiving - it's very impressive.

But I digress. Since DR's turkey is so awesome, I like to make sure that I make good use of all the leftovers we inevitably have every year. As I've mentioned before, I'm not a fan of gravy, so the traditional hot turkey sandwiches don't really do it for me, as far as a leftover plan goes. Instead, I like to use our leftover turkey in soups, stews, and pastas. This tetrazzini recipe is our favorite - total creamy, filling comfort food. If you're not familiar with tetrazzini, it's simply noodles baked with a creamy Parmesan-sherry sauce, usually some kind of non-red meat, and often mushrooms (although I typically leave these out). We like the recipe we use so much that we eat it more often than just with leftover Thanksgiving turkey - it's wonderful with chicken, too. Next, I'm on the hunt for some kind of turkey-wild rice soup to try with our leftovers this year - if anyone has a favorite recipe, send it my way!

Last year at this time...Rosemary Focaccia Bread and Moroccan Chicken

No comments: