Monday, February 2, 2009

Celebrating Soup Season

Recipe
Turkey and Wild Rice Chowder

The first time I made this recipe, it was in an attempt to use up our leftover Thanksgiving turkey. I've made it a couple times since then - not because we still have leftover turkey in the freezer, but because it's so good that I haven't wanted to wait to have leftovers to make it again. A bowlful of creamy chowder studded with carrots, celery, corn, and lots of wild rice (plus a little bacon for salty flavor, if you're into that kind of thing...I am!) is the perfect cozy Sunday lunch. This is a really hearty soup that's filling enough to stand by itself as a meal (with a hunk of crusty bread, of course). If you don't want to use turkey, chicken makes an excellent stand-in. Making soup is one of my favorite cold-weather activities, and I'm betting on having at least one more month of soup weather to take advantage of before the spring thaw comes - who's with me? Get your stockpots ready!

No comments: