Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Best Part of My Thanksgiving Meal

Recipe
Bread Stuffing with Wild Rice

Thanksgiving is fast approaching, and if you're anything like me, you've been thinking about what your menu will look like this year. While I make one or two changes every year, this stuffing is one thing that has been a mainstay on the menu for as long as I can remember. To be honest, it's so popular among my family and friends that I break it out on a quite a few occasions outside of Thanksgiving (shameful only because it is ridiculously decadent and unhealthy). One of my preschool teachers even requested it for her birthday treat this year! (That would be Ms. Nicole, who has also requested soft pretzels. She comes up with the best birthday treat requests.)

It's a pretty simple recipe - soft bread, celery and onions, seasonings, wild rice, and lots of butter - that originated with Betty Crocker, and was tweaked to its current blissful perfection by my mom, who's been making it for years. Because we have vegetarians in my family, we've never treated this recipe as literal "stuffing" and put it inside of a turkey - more of a side dish so that everyone can enjoy it. The recipe I've posted here reflects that, but if you want to use it the traditional way it's easily done.

I have Chinook Books (formerly Blue Sky Guides) to give away again this year! It's full of Minnesota-based coupons for local eco-friendly restaurants, entertainment venues, and other fun stuff. If you're one of my Minnesota readers and are interested in winning a copy, leave me a note in the comment section or send me an email. Tell me what your favorite Thanksgiving dish is - I want to know! I'll choose a winner on Saturday, November 20, so be sure to comment or email before then.

Looking for more Thanksgiving-friendly recipes? Try this Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole or these Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes.


8 comments:

Jay said...

Hooray! My favorite Thanksgiving dish is the pie. OBVIOUSLY.

Libby said...

Cranberries are my favorite. I don't know anyone else who loves them as much as I do. Only fresh, though - not canned!

Anonymous said...

This stuffing has been my favorite Thanksgiving dish ever since you shared the recipe with me a few years ago. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is a question for the webmaster/admin here at cookingincathedralhill.blogspot.com.

Can I use part of the information from this blog post above if I give a backlink back to your website?

Thanks,
Peter

Elisabeth said...

Hi Peter, if you let me know what you'd like to use it for, I'd most likely be happy to give you permission. Thanks for asking.

Elisabeth

Anonymous said...

I like mashed potatoes! I emailed you!

Elisabeth said...

Two Chinook Book winners: Jay and Angie (who emailed me that her favorite Thanksgiving dish is green bean casserole). Congratulations!

Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie said...

As good as this looks - I think I'd have a tough time doing dressing without cornbread, apples and onions. Isn't it interesting how we often have such an emotional attachment to a side dish like stuffing?