Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The best chocolate cake...

Recipe
Chocolate Deli Cake

My mom's chocolate deli cake is the best chocolate cake I've ever had, and it's famous among my extended family. For as long as I can remember, my mom has made this cake for family gatherings...birthdays, holidays, at any celebration calling for a cake, the chocolate deli cake usually makes an appearance. Last year, for my grandfather's birthday, she made one chocolate deli cake with cream cheese frosting and one with the standard Cool Whip that my family is used to, and while I generally love cream cheese frosting on pretty much any cake there is, I preferred the Cool Whip version - I suppose because it's what I've grown accustomed to with this particular cake. The secret to a truly blissful piece of my mom's chocolate deli cake? Lots of Cool Whip and chocolate bar shavings, and a little bit of melted wax on top left behind from one of the candles that were just blown out by whomever in my family was lucky enough to have a birthday that day. :)

No comments: