Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Signs of Spring

Recipe
Creamy Vegetable Chowder

Although there's still snow on the ground in Minnesota, technically, March 1 was the first day of meteorological spring, and I couldn't be more ready for it. Making this wonderful soup packed with fresh vegetables this week was like a promise of what's to come...farmer's markets, DR's garden - I can't wait! I read about this recipe for vegetable chowder on The Savory Notebook, another blog I love to read. It's from the Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special, a wonderful soup and salad cookbook from the well-known Ithaca, New York restaurant. In this chowder, after simmering most of the vegetables until they're tender, a portion of the cooked vegetables are pureed with milk, Cheddar and cream cheese to make a creamy sauce that's then added back to the soup. In her review of the recipe, Alysha suggested using corn in place of the peas the recipe originally called for, and I followed her suggestion - I can't imagine a chowder without corn! I was pleasantly surprised at how flavorful and creamy this soup was, especially since it's relatively low in fat and calories. This is a recipe that will be pulled out regularly this spring and summer - I can't wait to experiment with it more when I have more fresh produce to work with. Here's to spring - may it arrive soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had this for dinner last night and again for lunch. It is wonderful - bursting with flavor. I love the pepperiness. Thanks Liz!

LeLe said...

this is my new favorite soup! i, also, was lucky to have it for dinner last night and lunch today. it has a little bite to it, which i liked. it is also creamy and comforting. you rock lis!

Elisabeth said...

Anna and Lele, I didn't really think about it until I read your comment, but there definitely IS a "peppery" quality to the soup that I really like. Glad you both liked it so much!