Sunday, April 20, 2008

An Old Favorite

Recipe
Coconut Shrimp

Shrimp is one of my favorite foods...well, actually most seafood in general I just LOVE. Sadly, I live in the Midwest, where fresh seafood isn't exactly easy to come by (for just this reason, I think I'm destined to live on the coast someday!). This recipe for coconut shrimp has been one of my tried and true favorites for a few years - really, since I first began cooking regularly. It makes a great appetizer for a party, but I make it most often for myself as a main dish, and serve it over rice or with a side of pasta and a salad. There are lots of coconut shrimp recipes out there, I know, but what makes this one my standby? The hint of spice that the cayenne pepper lends to the recipe and the slight tang from the lime juice combine perfectly with the sweet coconut flakes to make this one of my favorite ways to prepare shrimp. And since it's baked - not fried, like most coconut shrimp that's served in restaurants - I don't feel quite so guilty eating a big plateful.

No comments: