Thursday, May 8, 2008

Better Than Store Bought

Recipe
Chewy Granola Bars

Dariush really likes Quaker Chewy Granola Bars - they make an easy, quick snack for him at work, so we go through a couple boxes a month. I'm not a big fan of the Quaker bars myself, so in an effort to find a granola bar that we both like, I decided to give this recipe a try. They turned out really well...a bit thicker and chewier (and more filling, in my opinion) than the standard granola bar, and without the partially hydrogenated oils that come along with many of the store-bought versions. They were a perfect make-ahead breakfast for me, and a great snack item for Dariush, which is exactly what I was hoping to find. There's lots of room for flexibility with this recipe - I added shredded coconut, peanuts, and a few chocolate chips to ours, but there are as many possibilities as your imagination can come up with. Almonds, cashews, dried fruit, carob or peanut butter chips...I can't wait to experiment some more with these and find our favorite combinations. Whip up a batch this weekend and see what your favorite version is - I'd love to hear about it!

No comments: