Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Alternative Energy

Recipe
Power Sticks

We can't seem to make it through a whole box of cereal at our house without the last 1/4 of the box or so getting stale. Dariush and I have been trying to tighten up our budget and waste less food, and this recipe is very conducive to that - in addition to being pretty darn tasty. It uses up my last bits of cereal (and it doesn't much matter what kind), and the rest of the ingredients are simple things I almost always have around: honey, peanut butter, powdered milk, and occasionally, some dried fruit. The appearance isn't too pretty (somewhat phallic, and somewhat turd-like, unfortunately - so unattractive that I'm hesitant to post a photo of one unwrapped!), but these make a a great energy-boosting breakfast or mid-day snack. They keep well at room temperature, so I often make a batch to take along on camping trips. They also hold up in the freezer if you need to store them for longer periods. In my experience, they taste better and cost less than the typical energy bar, and they still provide a fair amount of protein and are just as portable. Plus, they let me finally get rid of that lingering raisin bran on top of my fridge. Alternative energy that's convenient and cost-effective - if only it were so easy in other areas of life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I too have the "stale cereal" problem.

Elisabeth said...

Anna, you should come camping with me sometime - I always have them along!