Monday, October 27, 2008

Another Slow Cooker Success

Recipe
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken

I always feel a bit triumphant when I discover a new crockpot recipe that I like: as I've mentioned before, they're few and far between at our house. It is so nice, though, so convenient, to be able to toss something in there before you go to work in the morning, and come home to a house that smells delicious and a meal that has prepared itself while you were away. For this reason, my crockpot and I press on: many things we try together don't work out, but when they do - bliss. This chicken recipe is one of the happier results of my slow cooker experimentation. Although the recipe is called "Thai Chicken", I suppose it's something more like Thai-inspired chicken, because I'm fairly certain that there aren't any authentic Thai recipes that call for salsa as an ingredient. Nonetheless, it does have a distinctly Thai peanutty flavor that I love, and it takes the most minimal of effort on my part, so its authenticity doesn't concern me too much. The recipe calls for chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts - an important distinction in crockpot cooking, because in my experience breasts tend to dry out in the crockpot, while thighs stay moist. Toss in a little lime juice, peanut butter, ginger, soy sauce, and the aforementioned salsa, and you're set to go. After it's cooked, the recipe is finished off with a sprinkling of cilantro and crushed peanuts and served over rice. A big thanks to Claire797 on the CLBB, who originally shared this recipe - my crockpot and I both appreciate it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm...this sounds good, I might have to give it a try :)

Elisabeth said...

Yay, Amanda stopped by! Let me know if you try it - I'm curious to see if Kyle would eat this. :)

MollyinMinn said...

I made this and it was delicious. Kids even loved it. Thanks!