Tuesday, July 22, 2008

If You Love Sweet Corn, Read On...

Recipe
Creamy Corn with Chives

Half the summer is over already (can you believe it?!), and I think it's safe to say that I have found the side dish of the summer. At first, it was hard for me to fathom eating fresh sweet corn any way other than in its purest form: on the cob. Fresh corn (not frozen or canned, only fresh will do!) easily falls into my "top ten favorite foods" list, and I don't like to use it in recipes with lots of other ingredients, for fear of making the corn take a backseat to other flavors. I'm so glad I branched out a bit and gave this recipe a try, though...pureeing the corn and cooking it with a little butter, salt, onions, and chives doesn't dilute the delicious sweetness one expects from fresh corn, but somehow magnifies the flavor of the corn. It's like...essence of corn, if you'll pardon the silly expression. The steps to make this are a bit fussy, but if you love corn, it's worth it: the resulting dish is creamy, flavorful, and the perfect sweet/salty balance. I'm going to make it as many times as I can before our all-too-fleeting Minnesota corn season is over - I hope you'll have a chance to try it, too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic. I wish corn season lasted longer.

Elisabeth said...

Me, too. Oh well...at least we can enjoy it while it lasts!

Venessa said...

I tried this last week for my family. It was amazing! It actually tastes very rich and even more corny then imaginable. Thank you.

Elisabeth said...

Venessa, I'm so glad you liked this as much as I did! Great description..."even more corny than imaginable" - I completely agree!