Monday, November 26, 2007

Dust off your crockpots...

Recipe
Crockpot Beef Carnitas

My crock pot and I have some serious issues with each other. I see so many wonderful looking crock pot recipes all over the place, and I get myself all pumped up to try them...my crock pot lets me down almost every time. Meat turns out dry, noodles get hard and overcooked, vegetables get mushy....you get the picture. Basically, I think that newer crock pots, for the most part, just cook at a much higher temperature than crock pots in the past, thus ruining the moist, perfectly cooked effect one might expect. However, I long for the ease of throwing a meal into my crock pot in the morning, going to work, and coming home to a delicious dinner simmering on my counter....so I continue to try new recipes, hoping that eventually I will accumulate a small handful of meals that work in that blasted thing. These carnitas just happen to be one of the recipes that fall into the category of "perfect in my crockpot", much to my excitement! Even if you've felt let down by crock pot recipes in the past, give this one a try...I feel pretty confident that it will turn out well for you. Rolled up in a tortilla with some of Kate's Guacamole, and some fresh tomatoes and corn, maybe some salsa and sour cream...this is a meal I look forward to coming home to.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time with crockpots too...maybe this will be the magic recipe for me! Thanks!

Elisabeth said...

You're welcome Sheena! I hope you're able to try it!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful recipe! I had the meat cooking most of the day in my new crock pot (so this was my first crock recipe to try - ever!)It was ready to go when I got home from the airport with my brother Tom. Tom is a gormet cook and he thought these carnitas were incredible! Thanks Lis, for a great recipe (and for the crock pot!)Love, Mom

Elisabeth said...

You're welcome, Mom. I'm glad you liked them so much. :)