Saturday, March 14, 2009

Fresh From the Oven...

Recipe
Soft Honey-Yogurt Rolls

Making homemade bread is definitely a time and energy commitment, but I think it's a worthwhile commitment to make, because the end result is, well...homemade bread! These rolls were the highlight of my weekend when I made them to accompany a hearty stew a couple weeks ago, and I can't wait to make them again. The recipe is from Baking Bites, and I chose it because the use of yogurt in the dough piqued my curiosity. The original recipe Nicole posted is for sandwich rolls (and really, these would be great as sandwich rolls if you're so inclined), but I made smaller versions and used them as dinner rolls. The yogurt adds a tenderness to the finished product that helps keep them nice and soft, and makes the recipe relatively healthy. Most of the moisture in the recipe comes from the yogurt, so there's very little fat added (many roll recipes call for butter) - just a tablespoon of oil for a 16-roll recipe. The recipe also calls for honey, which adds a lovely natural sweetness to the bread that I really liked. A huge thank you to Nicole at Baking Bites for this wonderful recipe - she has a great site with tons of helpful baking tips - if you haven't already, head over there and check it out!

No comments: