Saturday, March 7, 2009

Happy Birthday, Chelsea!

Recipe
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I've been hanging on to my grandmother's carrot cake recipe for a long time, putting it up on a pedestal as "the best" and refusing to try any other versions...partly because it is quite good, but mostly because I miss my grandmother terribly and the recipe reminds me of her. When Chelsea, one of our center's assistant teachers, asked for a carrot cake with lots of frosting for her birthday treat at work last month, I decided it might be time to give another carrot cake recipe a try- just to see if I could find something I liked even better than my grandma's.

Turns out...I did! This recipe is from the famed Mrs. Fields, and it is the best carrot cake I've ever had (no matter how much I love my grandma, and I love her a lot). The cake itself was fabulous: moist, delicate, and just the right amount of spice. The frosting was simply heaven: I've never made cream cheese frosting with butter before, but it adds an extra layer of creaminess that put this whole cake over the moon. The original recipe is for a two layer cake, which is the way I made it for Chelsea's birthday. To be honest, the next time I make it (and there will certainly be a next time), I will probably make it as a single layer cake in a sheet pan: it's a very moist cake, and I had a hard time keeping the layers together once the cake had been sliced. I'm a carrot cake purist, so I left the nuts and raisins out of the cake, but for those of you of like them in there, they can easily be added.
Chelsea is one of our college students that helps out at the center part-time, and she is a very, very sweet girl. She is such a hard worker, and the kids just adore her. I'm so glad she's part of our team, and we were all so happy to celebrate her birthday with her. Happy birthday, Chelsea!

No comments: