Friday, December 12, 2008

A Bowl Full of Clouds

Recipe
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

So, I didn't end up going with the Sage and White Cheddar Mashed Potatoes for Thanksgiving as I had previously planned. I decided they might be a little too non-traditional for some of my less adventurous Thanksgiving guests, and that I should go with something simpler and plainer to highlight Dariush's mother's gravy that everyone loves so much. I'm really not a fan of just plain old boiled-then-mashed potatoes, though, so I figured I could safely jazz it up just a little bit by adding roasted garlic. My gamble paid off - the mashed potatoes were a hit, and they have now made it into my own regular, non-holiday recipe rotation. This recipe is as bare bones as mashed potatoes are likely to get in my house: baking potatoes mashed with a bit of buttermilk, a little butter, and lots and lots of garlic that has been drizzled with olive oil and slow roasted in the oven beforehand. Although this year, our potatoes weren't so much mashed as beaten...you see, Dariush gave me a KitchenAid stand mixer for my birthday this year, and we look for every possible excuse to use it - so we had great fun whipping the potatoes and all their accompanients in my beautiful new kitchen appliance instead of mashing them by hand. The result was the fluffiest, lightest mashed potatoes I've ever had: from here forward, all mashed potatoes in my kitchen will be similarly treated. If you don't have a stand mixer, a hand mixer would probably work just as well, and I highly recommend you try this technique as soon as possible if you haven't already done so. You won't be disappointed, and your potatoes will be like a bowl full of clouds. It doesn't get much better than that.

Last year at this time...Barbecue Meatloaf and Spinach Balls

No comments: